In 1996, the SWALCO Board of Directors adopted a mission statement the following mission statement to guide the Agency as it carries out programs, policies and activities:
The purpose of the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County, Illinois is to implement a regional approach to solid waste management which addresses the economic, political and environmental issues in Lake County as follows:
- Implement the Lake County Solid Waste Management Plan.
- Facilitate an efficient, reliable and environmentally sound waste disposal system.
- Advise and assist SWALCO members regarding solid waste management issues.
- Educate the public regarding implications of solid waste management options.
- Identify, evaluate and disseminate information regarding techniques to reduce, reuse and recycle the amount of solid waste generated.
The goals of SWALCO are closely tied to the mission statement, with the overall goal being to provide Lake County residents with the programs and infrastructure necessary to divert as much material from final disposal as possible. Further, it is the Agency's goal to achieve this diversion economically, to create jobs, and to minimize impacts to the environment.